Skip to content

Visa - frequently asked questions

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

When should I hand in my visa application?

Planning ahead and handing in the application as soon as possible is always a good idea since unforeseen problems, such as incomplete documentation, may arise and prolong the case processing time. However, a visa application cannot be accepted if handed in more than 6 months before the intended departure.

How long does it take to get a visa?

According to the EU Visa Code, the maximum case processing time cannot exceed 15 calendar days, or in exceptional cases 45 days. The Embassy aims to issue a visa within five to eleven working days provided that we have full and satisfactory information about the applicant. You will be contacted if it will take noticeably longer. Please note: There is no need for you or your Danish reference to contact the Embassy within the first five working days.

How long can I remain in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

A visa normally grants you the right to stay in the entire Schengen region for a maximum of 90 days within a 6-month period. This periods begin when you first enter the Schengen area.

Do I need to submit the original invitation letter?

Yes, the inviting party - in business cases - must send applicant a completed and signed VU1 form (invitation form) or a signed letter of invitation printed on the company letterhead and the applicant must submit this letter together with his/her application form and other documents to the Visa Application Centre.

Can I apply for a visa with a validity longer than six months?

If you wish to apply for longer validity, you need to write 90 days in field “25”, the first date of expected entry should be filled in, in field “29” and then in field “30” you write the date ie. 1 year in the future. For instance, if you write 1 July 2013 in field 29, then 30 june 2014 in field 30.

Whether a visa for longer term can be issued depends on an assessment of the application.

Do I need to pay a fee to arrange an appointment or to obtain visa application forms?

No. It is not necessary to pre-arrange an appointment and please note that no such fees will be requested. The hand-out of application forms and information material as well as the arrangement of an appointment is free of charge.

Do I need a signature on the dispatch letter and invitation letter

Yes. All letters from Singaporean and Danish companies must be signed.

Do I need to apply for a visa in person?

Yes, as a general rule you must apply in person.

For more information on biometric data collection, please refer to this link.

Can I travel with a visa issued in my old/expired passport?

In principle you can travel with visa issued in expired passport. However the Embassy recommends that the applicant has the visa transferred to the new passport at the representation, where it was issued to avoid any problems when travelling.

Do I need travel insurance?

Yes. Proof of health insurance is to be submitted along with your visa application. The following three items must be covered by the insurance:
  1. medical evacuation for medical reasons and repatriation of mortal remains;
  2. urgent medical attention;
  3. emergency hospital treatment.

Minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 is required. Also, the insurance must cover the effective period that you stay in Denmark/Schengen.

Who are exempt from paying the visa fee?

According to the rules for fees charged by the Danish mission abroad, certain groups are exempt from paying the visa fee upon application. For more information please see here (in Danish only).

The most usual types of exemptions are:

  • spouses or children to citizens of the EU (unless special circumstances are in place, Danes are not covered)

Upon the documentation you have provided the representation will assess, whether you are covered by the exemptions.

My application was sent to the Danish Immigration Service. Why?

There may be various reasons for this. Each application is evaluated individually and based on the applicant’s profile, including purpose of visit and intention to return.

The Danish representations will decide to grant a visa “bona fide”, or send the application to the Danish Immigration Service for further investigation (e.g. verification of Danish reference, family/friend relations, previous stays/overstays in the Schengen area, risk of illegal immigration and more).

I received my visa, but how do I read the sticker?

It is crucial that you check the information on the sticker before travelling as the Danish representation cannot be held liable if a mistake has occurred when printing the visa sticker. How to read your sticker here.

There is a difference between the number of days in my sticker and the total period of stay (from..until). How long can I stay in Schengen?

You are allowed to stay in Schengen for the number of days in the field 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'. The period 'FROM - UNTIL' is longer to allow flexibility regarding entry and exit within the mentioned period in case of emergency. So the total stay must never exceed the number of days in 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'.

I am a family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. What rules apply for me?

You may be entitled to an accelerated visa procedure free of charge (waived visa fee) if you meet the following criteria:

◾you are a family member of an European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) citizen; and
◾that EU/EEA citizen is travelling to or is residing in a member state other than that of which he/she is a citizen; and
◾you are accompanying the EU/EEA citizen or planning to join him/her in the Schengen State of destination.

If you think you are entitled to an accelerated visa procedure you will need to show proof that you meet these criteria when you submit your visa application.

What is a legalization?

A legalization is a confirmation that the signature on a document is genuine. In Singapore a document must first be notarized, then legalized by the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs and finally legalised by the Royal Danish Embassy in order to be fully legalized. Please note that standard Singapore official documents need not be notarised first, they can be submitted directly to the Singapore Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Please refer to the following link for further information or any updates regarding legalisation of Singapore documents Legalisation of documents

What is a verification?

A verification is typically used as proof that a photocopy is a true copy of the original document. Verification does not have anything to do with the contents of a document, and merely confirms that it is a true copy.

Am I allowed to work in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

No. A visa does not allow you to take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession in the Schengen region. However, during visits of less than 3 months you may carry out certain work-related activities without holding a work permit. More information is available on the website of the Danish Immigration Service about visas and work permits.

I already hold a valid Schengen visa (have not used up all the days on the visa), but wish to apply for a new visa. What do I do?

You must submit a normal application for a new visa at the embassy of the issuing country.
Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind